Here are the rules for compatibility between the different parts of
- x - major version
- y - minor version
- z - patchlevel
A few conclusions from the general rules:
- automake-idl xm.ym.zm is compatible with autoconf-orb xc.yc.zc
(and vice versa) iff xm = xc and ym = yc.
- If a configure
script or a Makefile.am
is created and works with automake-idl x.y.zm
and autoconf-orb x.y.zc
then it will work with automake-idl x.y1.zm1
and autoconf-orb x.y1.zc1
if y1 > y.
- All bugfixes in the current versions automake-idl x.y.zm and
will be backported to x1.y1.zm1
and autoconf-orb x1.y1.zc1
if x1 =
x-1 and x1
>= 1 (if they are applicable at all).
- examples xe.ye.ze can be used with automake-idl x.y.zm and autoconf-orb x.y.zc if xe = x and ye <= y.
A note about the documentation:
- Increases in the patchlevel z
do not break compatibility at all (both within autotools-idl and with
application scripts and makefiles).
- The minor version y will
be increased iff a feature is added or compatibility within
autotools-idl breaks but backward compatibility with application
scripts and makefiles is kept.
- The major version x will
be increased iff backward compatibility with application scripts and
makefiles might break. That does not necessarily mean that application
scripts and makefiles must be rewritten but some might need adjustments.
- The previous major version of autotools-idl will be maintained
with bugfixes. The beta versions 0.y.z
will not be maintained.
svn export http://svn.code.sf.net/p/autotools-idl/code/tags/Vx-y/www www
- Only the documentation for the latest versions of autotools-idl
will be available on the web site. Documentation for previous versions x.y may be obtained via the Subversion
repository. You may check it out using the following command: